Skip to main content

Week 3 Part B: Developing a Brand

 Week 3 Part B: Developing a Brand

 

Development of my brand, Marla Hope Designs

 

Brand Identity:

As a breast cancer survivor, I created a post-surgical recovery bra to help women feel better inside and out in recovery.  My brand is all about helping women on a really tough journey who are nearing the back to normal part; reconstructive surgery.  My message includes caring, optimism, femininity and hope (how coincidental that Hope is my middle name).  I decided to use my name as many fashion designers do so and my name totally fits my brand identity.  

 

My target market when I started was women who have had breast cancer, typically 45-65 years and in a higher income bracket.  Since I started selling, the age, unfortunately now even includes younger women from their 20’s and up to women in their 70’s.  I also found that this garment is helpful for other segments, including cosmetic surgery, emphasizing the need for a brand that does not focus on medical images.

 

I am the brand identity as this is my passion, so I have told my story on my website which customers often read and mention to me.  Often, I talk to customers to listen to them at length about their situation and to let them know that I am now 14 years out which is extremely hopeful for them.

 

Logo creation:

I am fortunate to have been in the marketing arena for most of my career.  So, I was able to recruit help from very creative people who have a lot of experience and have learned from their mistakes.    In developing my company logo, I considered a fashion design theme which included hand drawn logos (not strong enough), needle and thread (patients have seen enough needles and don’t need to be reminded), butterflies for an airy, light look and nothing jumped out at me.  

 

I started to think about my favorite flower, a tulip.  That set off more inspiration.  It was suggested that there was no question, the tuple needed to be pink due to my audience of breast cancer patients.    I started with the tulip logo with the stem.  Since then, while working with another artist, it evolved into the simplest logo as it is today.  Also, when I visit some surgeons’ offices, sometimes I bring pink tulips and remind them that it is my logo.  All about consistency and recognition.

 

I chose the Futura font as I like the non-serif simplicity as well as the letter 'a' which is shaped like this: a.  I use Futura throughout all my collateral for a consistent look.

 

Then, I created a product logo with a tagline to announce who the garment is for.  The logo is in the Futura font and in the colors to coordinate with the tulip logo.

When I recently introduced a mask, we modeled it after the post-surgical garment logo with a tagline.

 

Collateral:

At first, I needed business cards, letterhead, envelopes, labels for the envelopes, product hang tags, product size tags and thank you cards.  Then I needed trade show items, including a banner, table-top posters and brochures.  All these pieces are coordinated for brand consistency and recognition.




Later, as I took a class in InDesign, I started creating note pads that nurses enjoy and use!  I also created note cards for handwritten thank you notes to surgeons’ offices which come in handier than letterhead these days.  Every piece has a lot of white space and emits a feeling of calm, femininity and cheerfulness.



Off now to keep an eye out for good uses of branding; simple and impactful!


Marla Hope

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 1A:  Let's get blogging This is my first go at creating a blog and posting to it so that you will be interested in reading it and coming back for more information.  Therefore, let’s start at the beginning; choosing a theme to entice you.   Here are the reasons I chose the Notable theme:   1.      This theme is  notable  as an extension of my personality, primarily striving for organized minimalism.  I want to present you with information to quickly  grasp without clutter on your screen.  As a fellow achiever, I’d like to help you comfortably reach your goal of grasping all the information in one full swoop.     2.     This theme is  notable   for a purposeful format with one section of text with one photo.  You can chose to digest each morsel by reading the text or by looking a picture (quietly speaking a thousand words).   Once I learn how to format the photos with text, I plan on using clever photos with simplicity for focus rather than distraction.   3.     This theme is al

Week 2 Part B--Business Research

This week I have researched five related businesses to learn more about how they use social media.  Here are the highlights of what I have learned: Ana Ono Intimates https://www.anaono.com Company information:   Revenues:  $1M with 6 employees.  International company in the mastectomy/breast reconstruction garment niche.  Started by a survivor in her 30’s.  Innovative and even went to New York fashion week and Soma carries their products. Social Media:     Links are on their website. Facebook:   post once per day, last post was 9/8/20.  They have 8281 followers and their posts are all about promotions under the guise of supportive comments. Pinterest:  They are quite active with posts and have 898 followers.  They are a verified merchant.  Boards include:  Lingerie and loungewear that offers comfort, beauty and community through breast cancer. #NEVERALONE; photos about bras and graphic patient photos.  Presenting a hip, real life image.  This is more interesting than Facebook. Instagra

Week Ten Newsletters--Blog Post One

I think it would be helpful and appropriate to send a monthly newsletter.     As I reach new customers that are at different stages of their recovery and seasons or holidays are good themes to tie into.     Plus, the “woman” power to write it would be comfortable on this timetable.   I am not on an email list for my competitors, but thanks to this class, I will check them out and sign up to learn about what they are doing.     The content my business could use is information about the breast cancer journey, the process of reconstructive surgery, recovery and how patients get through it.   I can also include the fashion part of the business; fibers, manufacturing process, zippers used, colors chosen, fit and laundering.  In addition, customer feedback can be welcome content. Communicatively, Marla Hope